Benson Memorial Church

    Add links

    Coordinates: 51°56′40.27″N 0°01′6.26″W / 51.9445194°N 0.0184056°W / 51.9445194; -0.0184056

    St Richard of Chichester, Buntingford
    St Richard's Catholic Church Buntingford, UK.png
    Exterior view of St Richard's Buntingford as seen from the main road
    DenominationRoman Catholic
    Websitercdow.org.uk
    History
    DedicationSt Richard of Chichester
    Consecrated5 June 1940
    Architecture
    Heritage designationGrade II
    Architect(s)Arthur Young
    StyleModern Gothic
    Specifications
    Capacity160
    Tower height45 feet (14 m)
    Spire height35 feet (11 m)
    Administration
    DioceseWestminster
    DeaneryLea Valley
    Clergy
    Priest(s)Cyril Chiaha

    The Benson Memorial Church, dedicated to St Richard of Chichester, is an English Roman Catholic church in the Hertfordshire town of Buntingford. Its name derives from the notable priest and author Robert Hugh Benson who lived locally at Hare Street House and helped fund construction of the church. Benson laid the foundation stone[1] but died before the building was completed. The parish currently shares a parish priest with the Catholic churches in Puckeridge and Old Hall Green.

    History

    The church was built in 1914 by Arthur Young in the Gothic style and is Grade II listed[2] as a building of special architectural or historic interest. It was opened in January 1915. The Lady chapel was added in 1916 and the porch in 1934. The 45-foot tall tower, surmounted by a 35-foot copper spire was added in 1939. The church was consecrated in 1940[3] by the auxiliary bishop of Westminster, Edward Myers.

    Interior of the church

    References