|Born||March 9, 1947|
|Alma mater||Texas Christian University|
|Track & Field|
|Position(s)||Wide Receiver, Defensive Back|
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|Accomplishments and honors|
Bubba Thornton (born March 9, 1947) was the Texas Longhorns men's track and field coach at the University of Texas at Austin from 1996 to 2013. He is also the former head coach for the USA Track & Field team for the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics
Thornton graduated from Texas Christian University ("TCU") in 1969 with a bachelor's degree in physical education. He participated in varsity football and track and field at TCU. After graduating, he was drafted by the Buffalo Bills in the 14th round of the 1969 American Football League draft and started as a rookie wide receiver. He began his coaching career at Keller High School where he served as the athletics director and head football coach from 1977 - 1981.
In 1982, he became head coach of track and field at TCU where he coached 72 NCAA All-Americans and his men's team had five NCAA Top 10 finishes (1983, ’87, ’88, ’89 and ’91) and 11 Top 20 finishes. He also coached the TCU team to 39 major relay titles, including five NCAA 400-meter relay championships (1986, ’87, ’89, ’91 and ’95) and the 1983 1,600-meter relay national title.
In 1996, Thornton was hired as the head coach for the men's track and field team at UT. In 17 seasons, his team as finished in the top 15 at the NCAA Outdoor Championships 13 times, including finishing in the top five four times. He has coached the UT team to 19 top 10 NCAA finishes and 11 Big 12 conference titles (six indoor, five outdoor) and 1 Southwest Conference outdoor title.
Thornton has also served as a coach in the following capacities:
- Head Coach USA, Men’s Track and Field Team, USA Track & Field - 2008 Beijing Summer Olympic Games
- Head Coach USA, World Outdoor Men’s Track and Field, USA Track & Field - 2003 World Championships in Athletics
- Assistant Coach USA, Men’s Track and Field Team, USA Track & Field - 2000 Sydney Summer Olympics
- Head Coach USA - 1996 World Junior Championships in Athletics
- Texas Longhorns Track and Field
- 2008 Summer Olympics
- TCU Horned Frogs
- Buffalo Bills Players
- 1969 NFL Draft
- List of American Football League players
- "Bubba Thornton Bio - TexasSports.com - Official website of University of Texas Athletics - Texas Longhorns". Archived from the original on 2013-05-17.
- Men's Track and Field Head Coach Bubba Thornton retires | The Daily Texan
- Coach Bubba Thornton to retire after 18 years at Texas – Flotrack
- Texas Longhorns Athletics - Men's Track and Field head coach Thornton to retire
- "Txtfhalloffame". Archived from the original on 2017-01-16. Retrieved 2017-01-15.