Cannington, Western Australia
Perth, Western Australia
|Population||6,875 (SAL 2021)|
|Area||4.0 km2 (1.5 sq mi)|
|Location||13 km (8 mi) from Perth, Western Australia|
|LGA(s)||City of Canning|
Cannington's name derives from the Canning River, which forms part of the southwestern boundary of the suburb. It was first subdivided in 1882, and a railway station was constructed in the 1890s opposite Station Street in what is now East Cannington.
For many years the areas of Cannington, East Cannington and Beckenham were known locally as "Waverley" and many buildings and businesses used the name Waverley to designate their locality, such as the Waverley Hotel and the Waverley Drive In Cinema. The origin of the alternative use of Waverley is designated to the Cecil Gibbs who first used it in naming the Waverley Hotel that was a distinctive landmark over many generations. Between 1860 and 1883, William Lacey Gibbs, gradually accumulated most of what is Cannington. His slaughter yards were located near the present-day Myer Department Store, Westfield. His brother built the 'Cecil/Waverley' Hotel on the corner of Cecil Road and Albany Highway. The hotel was altered many times over the years and was recently demolished for widening of the Albany Highway.
Cannington is bounded by Nicholson Road to the southeast, the Armadale railway line to the northeast, Mills and Burton Streets to the northwest, and Fleming Avenue and the Canning River to the southwest. Albany Highway runs through the western part of the suburb.
Cannington contains one of the Perth metropolitan area's largest shopping complexes, Westfield Carousel, first built in 1972 and extensively refurbished and expanded in the 1990s, which includes a Hoyts cinema complex. Albany Highway contains a range of shops and small warehouses, as well as the City of Canning council offices. Bentley Hospital is just beyond the northwestern boundary on Mills Street.
Along the Canning River is the Canning River Regional Park, which contains walking tracks and picnic facilities as well as the Woodloes Museum, a restored 1874 house built by architect and pioneer Francis Bird. Various sports and leisure facilities, including soccer fields, ten-pin bowling and an indoor athletics centre. The Canning showgrounds includes the Cannington Exhibition Centre and was home to the Cannington Raceway owned by the Western Australian Greyhound Racing Association from 1974 to 2015. The greyhound racing now takes place across the road on the north side on a new track which opened on 23 March 2016.
Cannington is on Albany Highway, a primary route into the Perth central business district, and lies to the southeast of Leach Highway and to the northwest of Roe Highway. Manning Road (State Route 26) provides access to Curtin University of Technology and Kwinana Freeway.
Cannington is served by the Cannington Interchange, linking the area to the CBD. The suburb is also served by buses along Cecil Avenue, Albany Highway and other routes. All bus services are operated by Swan Transit and Path Transit.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (28 June 2022). "Cannington (Suburb and Locality)". Australian Census 2021 QuickStats. Retrieved 28 June 2022.
- "History of metropolitan suburb names – C". Western Australian Land Information Authority. Retrieved 15 May 2007.
- Carden, F.G. Along the Canning: A History of the City of Canning, City of Canning, 1st Edition 1968, 2nd edition, 1991,
- Department of Land Information. StreetSmart Perth Street Directory (54th ed.). West Australian Newspapers Ltd. pp. Maps 404-405. ISBN 978-0-909439-67-5.
- "GREYHOUND RACING IN WA". Racing and Wagering Western Australia. Retrieved 10 March 2021.
- "Greyhound Racing". Greyhounds Western Australia. Retrieved 10 March 2021.
Media related to Cannington, Western Australia at Wikimedia Commons