St Mary's Church, Graveley
|Population||487 (2011 Census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Ambulance||East of England|
Graveley is a village and civil parish about four miles east of Hitchin and two miles north of Stevenage in Hertfordshire, England. The population of the parish in the 2011 census was 487. A milestone in the village states that it is 33 miles from London.
Graveley is mentioned in the Domesday Book. It was granted by William the Conqueror to Goisbert of Beauvais. The village is built on a Roman road, which developed into a section of the Great North Road. The village was by-passed by the A1 (M) motorway in the 1960s.
The parish absorbed the site of a lost settlement, Chesfield (or Chivesfield), about a mile to the east of Graveley; little remains there apart from the ruined walls of its 14th-century church, a farm and a couple of cottages. Graveley and Chesfield had been separate parishes, but were united in 1445.
The medieval church is of flint construction.
There are a number of attractive cottages and houses, including The George and Dragon pub, which has an 18th-century facade, and The Wagon & Horses. At one time there were four pubs, but two have now closed down.
- "Graveley Parish". NOMIS. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 2 November 2021.
- The population is reported on the boundary of Graveley parish after the civil parish of Great Ashby was separated from it, despite the census having been taken four days before that change came into effect.
- "Milestone opposite number nine".
- "Graveley village" (PDF).
- Chauncy, Henry (1700). The historical antiquities of Hertfordshire, Volume 2. London. p. 124. Retrieved 2 November 2021.
- Ministry of Housing and Local Government Order No. 3452. The County of Hertford (Stevenage Urban District and Hertford and Hitchin Rural Districts) Confirmation Order, 1953, effective 1 April 1953
- Great Ashby Community Council, Accessed 19 May 2012
- "George and Dragon".
- "Waggon and Horses Public House, Graveley, Hertfordshire".