Lacrosse at the 1908 Summer Olympics
at the Games of the IV Olympiad
|Venue||White City Stadium|
|Competitors||33 from 2 nations|
A field lacrosse game was played between Canada and Great Britain at the 1908 Summer Olympics. The game was tied 9-9 in the fourth period, before Canada scored 5 straight goals to pull ahead. Canada won 14-10 to earn their second of two gold medals, the only lacrosse gold medals given out in the Olympic Games.
The game marked the second appearance of lacrosse at the Olympics, the first being at the 1904 Summer Olympics. Only two teams competed — one fewer than in 1904. South Africa was slated to send a team but then withdrew prior to the tournament.
Both teams held try-outs to select the players to represent their country. The Official Report notes that it was the "first time in the history of Canadian lacrosse a team had been selected from all parts of the Dominion," with players from clubs "as far apart as New Westminster and Montreal." The report also credits the British team as "by far the strongest ever put into the field" by England, though admits the sport was "not yet as well-known as it ought to be on this side of the Atlantic."
| Canada (CAN)
Richard Louis Duckett
Patrick Brennan (Capt.)
| Great Britain (GBR)
Hubert Ramsey (Capt.)
C. J. Mason
F. S. Johnson
V. G. Gilbey
James Caldwell Alexander
|October 24||Great Britain||10||-||14||Canada||White City|
- Scoring summary
- FIRST QUARTER (5-1): Canada: Brennan (2), Turnbull, unknown (2); England: Buckland
- SECOND QUARTER: (6-2) Canada: unknown; England: Jones
- THIRD QUARTER (9-7): Canada: Turnbull (2), unknown; England: Jones (2), Buckland (3)
- FOURTH QUARTER (14-10): Canada: Brennan (3), Gorman (2); England: Jones, unknown (2)
- Mallon, Bill; Buchanan, Ian (2000). The 1908 Olympic Games: Results for All Competitors in All Events, with Commentary. McFarland & Co. pp. 197–199. ISBN 9780786440689.
- "The Fourth Olympiad London 1908" (PDF). LA84 Foundation. pp. 205–208.
- Official Report, p. 205.
- "Lacrosse at the 1908 London Summer Games". Sports Reference. Archived from the original on 2020-04-17.
- "Laws of Lacrosse - Special Code for Olympic Games" (PDF). LA84 Foundation. pp. 503–509.