Former Farmer's Boy Public House, Langley
|Population||175 (2011 Census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Ambulance||East of England|
Langley is a hamlet and civil parish in the non-metropolitan district of North Hertfordshire and county of Hertfordshire. The population was 175 in the 2011 census. It is located four miles south of Hitchin, on the B656 road near the large town of Stevenage. Minsden Chapel lies within the parish.
Prior to 1894, Langley and neighbouring Preston were part of the parish of Hitchin, together forming a long salient to the south of the town itself. Langley and Preston became separate civil parishes as a result of the Local Government Act 1894, with effect from the first parish meeting on 4 December 1894. Langley civil parish was then included in the Hitchin Rural District between 1894 and 1974, when it became part of North Hertfordshire.
North Hertfordshire District Council
Langley is located within the local government district of North Hertfordshire and within the Ward of Hitchwood, Offa and Hoo.
Hertfordshire County Council
- "Langley Parish Local Area Report". NOMIS. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 1 November 2021.
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- "Knebworth Langley Lilley". North Hertfordshire District Council. Archived from the original on 16 July 2011. Retrieved 21 February 2011.
- Ordnance Survey Sheet 221, revised 1893
- Local Government Act 1894 (56 & 57 Vict. c. 73)